Grilling this holiday weekend? Here’s a salad to pair with whatever’s on the grill — a salad inspired by the classic Greek salad, but with a twist. We’ve swapped out the tomatoes (not quite in season yet) for juicy sweet mangoes. And we’ve upgraded the feta with a smoked feta from Vermont’s Maplebrook Farm.
Maplebrook’s clean, creamy whole milk feta gets a flavor boost from smoking over cherrywood — it’s like a campfire on your cheese board. Temper the smokiness with sweet mangoes, cool cucumbers and pickled red onions and you have a tangy, refreshing salad to pair with chicken, pork or maybe some wood-planked salmon on the grill.
You’ll want to assemble the salad early enough to let it stand for a half hour or so, to let the flavors meld. If you don’t have pickled red onions handy, you can quickly blanch fresh onions — to soften them and take the edge off, place them in a colander and pour boiling water over, rinse with cold water and let drain while you’re preparing the rest of the salad ingredients. (This, incidentally, is also how I make my cheaters-quick-pickled onions — I blanch them and toss them in the leftover brine from my daughter’s favorite pickles. Easy way to keep them on hand at all times.)
Recipe: Mango, Cucumber and Smoked Feta Salad
Makes 4 servings
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 small cucumbers, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pickled red onions (see note above if using fresh)
- 3 ounces smoked feta, cubed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
1. Cut mangoes, cucumbers and cheese into bite-sized cubes. Cut pickled onion slices in half lengthwise. Place all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss gently to combine.
3. Let salad stand for 30 minutes before serving. Serve at room temperature.
Are you cooking with cheese this holiday weekend? Tell us what’s on your table!
Disclosure: We received samples of Maplebook cheeses to experiment with in the kitchen. No other compensation was received and all opinions, as always, are our own.